Friday, October 21, 2005

Foreign Country Intersexuals

I don’t think it is easy for American students to label other countries' cultural practices, which they inherently label as below the “American” standard, with the possibility of it being something positive that Americans could learn from. This points to a “cockiness” attitude about American intelligence and superiority that I don’t think most are willing to admit that we are socialized to think accordingly.

There appears to be this notion that Americas have nothing left to learn from and that if we haven’t found the proper way to handle the situation, then it isn’t out there. This is true as you compare Canadian and American prescription drug availability and costs. The FDA argues that Canada’s policies would pose a risk to us, when in reality there is no evidence to suggest that claim is true, and the real setback and delay with cheaper drug costs is governmental bureaucratic interests.

I have always found it very odd that we all claim a child's birth in a nature and/or God-intended event; yet attempt to change its course when it doesn’t meet our socialized guidelines for normalcy and doesn't pose an “acceptable” future matriculation in society. It’s as though we are admitting as parents, that we choose not to raise a child naturally born unique from others due to a social pressure we create.

While I think parents should be able to choose whatever they wish to do as a result of being informed of a possible intersexed child, I do think that decision should be made alone, with the parents, and the child, without medical, family, and other social influences. I think this because in the end, it is only the parents and the child who need to be content and comfortable with the decision being made. The doctor will be forgotten and any real, trustworthy, loving family members will be content as long as the parents and child are happy with the choice.

I speak from lived experience, which I think can relate to this idea. I was born premature, weighing 1 pound, 15 ounces in 1982. Against medical advice and odds, my Mother choose to touch me every night nearly for 6-8 months while I was hospitalized before I could go home. She would pick me up from my incubator, sing, and nurture me while in the hospital. My Mother knew the importance of human touch well before the medical profession and the higher education profession would accept the reality. If it were not for her choice, I likely would have died from medical advice and ignorant socialization of the times from family member suggestions.The same applies to parents facing intersexed children unexpectantly at birth. Loving your child is more important that loving your social system.

No comments: